For Sign approval:
1. Do an overall sign plan for the entire building – based on building size, etc, and then board of architectural review 35.82.150 - Overall Sign Plans – p494 of LUDC
2. Submit the sign to theBoard of Architectural Review for approval. 35.82.070 - Design Review
-In the Santa Ynez Valley the regional BAR is the Central County Board of Architectural Review
(CBAR) see pg201 SYV Community plan (pdf p211 of 260).
-Board of Architectural Review in compliance with Section 35.82.070 (Design Review) see Appendix A SYV Community Plan.
I) Need frontage of lot to be 125’ or longer to have 2 signs (realestate style)
II) Property owner needs to overall sign plan, each tenant needs to get an SCC (sign cert of conformance)
Sign Permitting (256)
35.38.090 - Signs Allowed in Commercial and Industrial Zones Outside of Shopping Centers (p256)
C. Wall signs.
1. For each enterprise, one on each street frontage.
a. The sign area on each frontage shall not exceed one-eighth of the square footage of the structure façade of that portion of the floor occupied by the enterprise and upon which façade the wall sign is to be located.
b. In the case where an enterprise occupies more than one floor of a structure, then the sign area shall not exceed one-eighth of the structure façade of that portion of one floor occupied by the enterprise.
D. Under canopy signs.
1. One for each enterprise having entrance under or offering service under the canopy.
2. Not exceeding six square feet in sign area.
3. Lower edge of the sign shall be at least eight feet above finished ground level.
E. Projecting signs.
1. One projecting sign on each street frontage consisting of only a symbol with or without words relating to the activity on the premises.
2. Shall not project more than three feet beyond the structure façade.
3. Shall not exceed three square feet in sign area.
4. The lower edge of the sign shall be at least eight feet above finished ground level.
5. Shall not be lighted
H. Freestanding signs.
1. One on each lot occupied by an enterprise, if the lot has a street frontage of at least 125 feet.
a. Not more than two separate signs may be placed on each freestanding sign structure.
b. If only one sign is placed on a freestanding sign structure, it shall not exceed 100 square feet in sign area.
c. If two signs are placed on a freestanding structure, the lower sign shall not exceed 20 square feet in sign area, and the total area of both signs shall not exceed 100 square feet. The lower sign area may be a changeable copy sign or a multiple copy sign.
d. The height of a freestanding sign shall not exceed 30 feet. Height shall be measured from the centerline of the improved portion of the public right-of-way to which the property has access and more specifically, from that point in the centerline that is closest to the sign. If the sign is located an equal distance from several centerlines, the 30 feet shall be measured from the highest of these centerlines.
e. A part of the sign or supporting structure shall not project over the street right-of-way.
f. The base of the supporting structure shall comply with the front setback of the applicable zone and shall be set back at least five feet from the street right-of-way.
Design Review (p473)
35.82.070 - Design Review
2. Design Review action required. Design Review action shall be required for all of the following:
b. Any structure or sign requiring Design Review as specifically provided under Article 35.3 (Site Planning and Other Project Standards).
1. Applications for Preliminary and Final review by the Board of Architectural Review shall be accepted only if the application is accompanied by a development application or if the Department is processing an existing development application for the proposed project.
2. The Board of Architectural Review shall hold as least one noticed public hearing on an application for Preliminary or Final Approval and approve, conditionally approve or deny the request in compliance with Section 2-33.15 of Chapter 2, Article V of the County Code and this Section.
F. Findings required for approval.
1. Findings required for all Design Review applications. A Design Review application shall be approved or conditionally approved only if the Board of Architectural Review first makes all of the following findings:
a. Overall structure shapes, as well as parts of any structure (buildings, fences, screens, signs, towers, or walls) are in proportion to and in scale with other existing or permitted structures on the same site and in the area surrounding the subject property.
h. Signs, including associated lighting, are well designed and will be appropriate in size and location.
G. Local design standards. Additional design standards for a particular geographic area or zone may be developed as part of or independently of a Community Plan. Such standards serve to provide further guidance in the review of projects for the geographic area beyond those standards or findings contained in this Section.
Overall Sign Plan (p494)
35.82.150 - Overall Sign Plans
A. Purpose and intent. This Section establishes procedures and findings for the approval of Overall Sign Plans that regulate signs located within a shopping center. The intent is to ensure that signs within a shopping center are visually attractive and are in a harmonious relationship to one another.
B. Applicability. The provisions of this Section shall apply to all proposed signs located within shopping centers.
C. Allowed modifications. The review authority may allow the following sign modifications as part of the approval of an Overall Sign Plan:
1. Freestanding signs. An increase in the height, number and size limitations on freestanding signs.
3. Under canopy sign. An increase in the area limitation of under canopy signs.
4. Wall sign. An increase in the area limitation of wall signs.
D. Contents of application. An application for an Overall Sign Plan shall be submitted in compliance with Chapter 35.80 (Permit Application Filing and Processing).
1. An application for an Overall Sign Plan shall be submitted concurrently with an application for a Development Plan for a shopping center and shall be processed in conjunction with such Development Plan application, except as provided below.
a. An application for an Overall Sign Plan may be submitted independently if the Overall Sign Plan is for an existing shopping center and the processing of a new or revised Development Plan is not required.
2. Review authority.
a. The review authority for the application for the Development Plan for the shopping center shall be the review authority for the application for the Overall Sign Plan.
b. The review authority for an application for an Overall Sign Plan submitted in compliance with Subsection 1.a, above, shall be the Zoning Administrator.
3. After receipt of an application for an Overall Sign Plan, the Department shall review the application in compliance with the requirements of the California Environmental Quality Act.
4. The Overall Sign Plan shall be subject to Design Review in compliance with Section 35.82.070 (Design Review).
a. The Board of Architectural Review shall provide a recommendation to the review authority on:
(1) The effect of the proposed Overall Sign Plan on:
(a) The various parts of and commercial enterprises within the shopping center.
(b) The streets and properties surrounding the shopping center.
(c) The overall continuity of design and signs within the shopping center.
(2) The number, type, height, location, size, design, color, materials, and lighting of signs contained within the Overall Sign Plan.
b. If the area of menu boards for drive-through restaurants, under canopy signs, or wall signs, or the area, height, or number of freestanding signs is proposed to be in excess of that otherwise allowed in compliance with this Development Code, then the Board of Architectural Review shall make specific recommendations to the review authority on any such modification.
5. The review authority shall hold at least one noticed public hearing on the requested Overall Sign Plan and approve, conditionally approve, or deny the request. The review authority shall consider the effect of the proposed Overall Sign Plan upon:
a. The various parts of and commercial enterprises within the shopping center.
b. The streets and properties surrounding the shopping center.
c. The overall continuity of design and signs within the shopping center.
6. Notice of the hearing shall be given and the hearing shall be conducted in compliance with Chapter 35.106 (Noticing and Public Hearings).
a. In addition to mailed notice required in compliance with Chapter 35.106 (Noticing and Public Hearings) notice shall also be mailed a minimum of 10 days prior to the public hearing to all tenants within the shopping center.
7. The action of the review authority is final subject to appeal in compliance with Chapter 35.102 (Appeals).
F. Findings required for approval. If an Overall Sign Plan includes any modifications in compliance with Subsection C. (Allowed modifications) above, then the Overall Sign Plan application shall be approved or conditionally approved only if the review authority first makes all of the following findings, as applicable:
1. Freestanding signs. The proposed area, height, or number of freestanding signs is architecturally harmonious in relation to the size and location of the shopping center.
3. Under-canopy signs. The proposed area of the under-canopy sign is architecturally harmonious in relation to the size and location of the building area occupied by the enterprise proposing the sign.
4. Wall signs.
a. The proposed area of the wall sign is architecturally harmonious in relation to the size and location of the structure on which it will be placed.
b. The proposed area of the wall sign is architecturally harmonious in relation to the size and location of the area on which the structure is constructed.